Local Gran Fondo this Sunday – 3 options
As you may be aware, the Cycle Club has elected to replace one race per month with a Gran Fondo. Gran Fondo literally means “Big Ride.” The intent is to encourage our members to challenge themselves, get out of their comfort zone and explore new roads that they may not have explored before. Gran Fondo’s are social training rides for Cycling Australia or Triathlon Australia members of OCTC only. There will be different groups riding different distances, all leaving from the velodrome. Departure times will be arranged to have all groups arrive at the finish around the same time for lunch and a few drinks. If it all gets too hard, we will have a car available to run out and collect anyone who wants a lite back to town.
The first Gran Fondo is Sunday 18 February (that’s this weekend). There are three routes as follows. All groups should end up at the Hotel Canobolas around 12nn. The routes may change based on the fire situation.
- Group 1 – Velodrome – Back of Mine – Tallwood – Millthorpe – Lucknow – Huntley – Hotel Canobolas (https://www.mapmyride.com/rou
- Distance – 100km
- Climbing – 1,200m vertical
- Average speed and time – 27km/h or 3h 45min. (Sue Bonar has expressed an interest in a slower group for the 100km ride – if interested please contact her via email@example.com.
- Departure – 8.00am
- Ride leader – Colin Dibble
- Group 2 – Velodrome – Front of Mine – Millthorpe – Lucknow – Huntley – Hotel Canobolas (https://www.mapmyride.com/rou
- Distance – 72km
- Climbing – 671m vertical
- Average speed and time – 25km/h or 2h 45min
- Departure – 9.00am
- Ride leader – TBC
Group 3 – Velodrome – Front of Mine – Forest Reefs – Forest Road – Hotel Canobolas (https://www.mapmyride.com/rou
- Distance – 50km
- Climbing – 521m vertical
- Average speed and time – 22.5km/h or 2h 15min
- Departure – 9.30am
- Ride leader – David Cooper
Things to be aware of
- The Gran Fondos are for CA and TA members ONLY. A Cycling Australia RIDE membership will cost you $99 for 12 months, including insurance – an absolute bargain.
- All riders will have to sign on for safety reasons so we know who is on the road and we can we be sure we get everyone back again.
- A change of clothes and towel can be left in a labeled bag at the velodrome and showers will be available at the Pub (thanks Phil!).
- Normal road rules and common sense apply, bring food, water, a phone, spare tubes, lights, suncream and your best Dad Joke (its a social ride after all).
- These are no drop rides. Groups may break up, but no one is to be left on the road by themselves.
The Cycle Club Annual Presentation will be on at the pub from 1pm, so please stay and join in the fun.
Stay safe and be seen
Orange Cycle and Triathlon Club